Academic research indicates that continued reading throughout the summer reinforces and refines literacy skills. As a means of giving our students this advantage the English Department, along with the librarian, has created a summer reading requirement.
Summer Reading Guidelines
- All students in grades 9-12 are expected to complete a summer reading activity, consisting of 1 book of nonfiction and 1 book of fiction.
- The Fiction book is open/free choice.
- Students will select the Nonfiction texts from book lists generated for their respective grade level.
- Within the first five school days of the first marking period, students will complete an on-demand writing task which will require them to reflect upon both texts.
- This task will count as 15% of the student’s first marking period average.
- The writing task will be assessed using a scoring rubric that will measure a student’s comprehension of both texts.
- Failure to complete the task in a timely fashion will result in a forfeiture of the 15% established for the task.