Welcome to AP Biology class! I am excited to work with you and your child. I know we will have a successful, productive year and I look forward to being a part of the academic progress your child will make.
AP Biology is a college-level course intended to be an introduction to the Biological Sciences. We will survey the many different fields of study that comprise the field of biology. At this level, I do expect students to work hard and put forth their best effort all year. At the end of the course, students take the AP Biology exam, which is administered by the College Board. A sufficient score on this exam makes a student eligible for college credit, depending on the college. This years AP Biology exam will be administered on May 8, 2017. You child will receive more information (and I will post it) as the year progresses.
Here are some additional things you can do to help support your child’s classroom learning:
- Ask your child what they learned in school that day.
- Encourage your child to ask questions in class and to make arrangements to see me when they do not understand something we cover in class.
- Emphasize the importance of attendance and hard work. Establish a regular time and place (away from TV and other distractions) to complete homework.
- Please e-mail me or arrange to meet with me to check on the progress of your student (if needed).
- Please contact me, or have your child contact me, if they have to miss class for any reason. It is extremely important that students not fall behind in class and that all lab work is made up in a timely fashion!
More information about the AP Biology course will be passed out in class on the first day. Please review this information with your child. I encourage you to contact me to discuss any questions or concerns you may have. Thank you!